Saturday, November 23, 2013

Come back liao lorh.

Hey all!

This is one of my happier posts (if I do post any at all). I've just came back from Melbourne a couple of weeks ago and I swear, that is one place I'll stay in till I become old. When I'm old, I'll just come back to Singapore and die, but that's not the point of this post. This post is about what I learned in that short 1 month stay I had whilst staying in Melbourne,what I've discovered about the wonderful culture there and what I have learned about myself.

To recap, I went to Melbourne after a short notice from my mum and I only left my job the day before I flew off to Melbourne. It was stressful,exciting and the dusty moths I swallowed when I was in secondary school just came back to live magically in that short couple of weeks. It was all that in a blender, but I was up to it. 

Furthermore, to be honest, I was grappling with a couple of issues before I flew. I was trying to come to terms with some realizations that maybe I was not as important a friend as I thought I was. I needed a break from all the family drama that was going on at my house. I felt like some things I used to have were just dissipating into pieces right before me and I was desperately in need of a sanctuary from all the problems that was hounding me. So, it was a much needed break to go over to Melbourne to be physically and mentally far away from these problems.

On the day I was supposed to fly off, the people that promised to show their faces didnt appear. It was for legit reasons and I am not blaming anyone, but I did felt a little crest-fallen (What with all my little pet peeve about people breaking promises). I guess that did give me my first revelation that hey, maybe I take people's promises too seriously. Maybe, it's time for me to let go and maybe, just maybe, I am not that gold star on anyone's best friends list.

Though the weather there was bipolar, the culture there was great. The coffee was great (Thanks Boss!) and the people there werent afraid to be who they want to be. The people were polite and the best part of it was that there were WILD RABBITS hopping around everywhere. I hadnt to worry about food (Coles,Woolsworth), clothes (Kmart, Target) and things to do ( Rags to Riches Market, Laverton Market, Werribee Craft Festival, Geelong beach, Garazi Cafe, Queen Victoria's Market). The places was filled with many tiny wonders that popped out at me where I went. It was amazing.

And on top of it all, when I was there, I felt free. I felt like I had no boundaries (Adam Lambert's song starts to play in the background) and I felt like I was living a new life. I went to see what a flower market is like at 4am, I went to the plazas, craft festival and markets, I walked in the rain in 12 degrees alone with only jeans, boots, a tshirt and a jacket. Life was good. I hadnt to worry about people problems and I had sufficient time to digest what has been eating at me for a really long time. I had time to heal the wounds that were festering in me. When it was time for me to go home, my friends and family were excited for me to come back, but I felt so bad because I couldnt find the same enthusiasm in me.

Someone asked me," You will come back to Singapore or not? Or you will stay there forever? I got friends who say they cannot get use to life in Singapore after they come back from Melbourne one leh. You will remember to come back or not?"

Before I went, I replied with, "sure one larh!" 

But now, I am not too sure.

No comments: